- 2 cups whipping cream
- 5 basil leaves, torn (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 (16-oz.) packages fresh strawberries, sliced
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 8 Buttermilk Pound Cake slices
How to Make It
Stir together whipping cream and basil in a small bowl; cover and chill 8 to 12 hours.
Cook vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and stir in pepper; cool completely (about 30 minutes).
Stir together sliced strawberries and vinegar mixture in a large bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
Pour cream mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding basil. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
Serve pound cake slices with strawberry mixture and basil whipped cream.
Total time does not include time for cake.