Quick important tip....do NOT use fat free half and half. The pudding never set up....was a liquid mess. Flavor was good but it ruined the recipe....it ended up just being soggy cake with bananas....oops!
Pound Cake Banana Pudding
This recipe is inspired by the one served at the famous Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room in Savannah, Georgia. Look for pound cake in the frozen dessert case of the supermarket.
More From Southern Living
Other Tiime: 4 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1-pound) pound cake, cubed
- 4 large ripe bananas, sliced
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, whisking constantly, 13 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter melts. Layer half of pound cake cubes, half of bananas, and half of pudding mixture in a 3-quart round baking dish. Repeat layers. Cover pudding, and chill 6 hours.
- Spread Meringue over pudding.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Sara Lee Family Size All Butter Pound Cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note