Ingredients out of proportion and resulted in a soupy mess. Never had to cook potatos before for this type of recipe and doing so here resulted in potatos that were too soft and crumbly. Result was more like mashed potatos. Using Swiss added almost no flavor and we all needed salt to give any flavor.
Potatoes Au Gratin
Cooking Light's cheesy au gratin potato dish has a low-fat Swiss cheese sauce and thin-sliced potatoes that are baked in a casserole until browned and bubbly.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 282
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 40.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 272mg
- Calcium: 285mg
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 (1/2-inch-thick) slice onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled baking potato, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes. Pour milk mixture through a sieve over a large bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place potato in a medium saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; saute 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour; gradually add reserved milk. Stir with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick; stir constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour milk mixture over potato; toss. Spoon potato into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Broil 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly
- CUISINE: American, New American, French
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake, Broil
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light