The soup itself was bland and just okay. However, with green onion, cheese, bacon, and sour cream on top it was pretty good. I added some garlic powder to the soup when it was cooking to give it more flavor since other reviewers said it was bland. I also had to add a little more water to the slow cooker at the beginning to cover the potatoes. The recipe didn't say they had to be covered, but I was concerned about the potatoes discoloring before they cooked, especially using the low setting on the slow cooker. At the end I tried to mash the soup with a potato masher per the recipe but I wasn't getting anywhere near a smooth consistency. I ended up getting out the blender instead. I think this recipe could use some tweaks but it still turned out okay.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 259
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37.8g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 683mg
- Calcium: 202mg
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Place potato slices and onion in a 5-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Combine 1/2 cup water and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); stir into mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in milk and 3/4 cup cheese. Increase heat to HIGH. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle with bacon and chives.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note