These were a real hit at the party we brought them to! They take a little time but can be made in advance. Everyone wanted more!
Potato Salad Stacks
Sunset reader Dawn McHenry needed an appetizer for a summer party, so she took her mom's family's potato salad recipe from Germany, grilled the potatoes, and stacked the rest on top.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 167
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 6.5g
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 238mg
- Cholesterol: 161mg
- 1 1/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, about 2 in. wide
- 6 large eggs
- About 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill pickle liquid from jar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- About 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 1. Put unpeeled potatoes and eggs in separate medium saucepans with water to cover. Add 1 tsp. salt to potatoes. Cover pans, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat; simmer eggs for 10 minutes and simmer potatoes until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain pans, then fill with cold water to cool potatoes and eggs.
- 2. Peel eggs and slice crosswise about 1/4 in. thick. Slice potatoes crosswise just a little thicker. Save egg and potato ends for another use and set remaining eggs aside. Set potatoes on a rimmed pan and brush on both sides with oil. Preheat grill to medium (350° to 450°).
- 3. Stir mayonnaise, pickle, pickle liquid, onion, mustard, 1 tsp. each chives and dill, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and sugar in a bowl to blend. Chill dressing until used.
- 4. Grill potatoes until browned and crisp, turning once with tongs, 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to a large platter and let cool to room temperature.
- 5. Top each potato with about 1/2 tsp. dressing, then an egg slice and a little more dressing. Save any leftover dressing for another use. Sprinkle potatoes with more chopped herbs, then with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make ahead: Through step 3, chilled separately, up to 1 day.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note