Yield: 5 dozen
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Cook potato in boiling water to cover 10 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid; set potato aside.
- Heat reserved 1 cup liquid to 100° to 110° in a small saucepan. Sprinkle with yeast; stir and let stand 5 minutes.
- Mash potato in a large bowl with a potato masher or fork; stir in yeast mixture, shortening, sugar, and salt. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Gradually add 4 cups flour, stirring to make a soft dough. Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a surface sprinkled with remaining 1/2 cup flour, and knead 4 or 5 times. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, and place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads