Potato "Risotto" with Sausage and Broccoli
Notes: While not made with rice, this dish achieves a surprisingly creamy, risotto-like texture with frozen shredded potatoes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 475
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 62g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Sodium: 757mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 3/4 pound uncooked chicken-apple sausages
- 3 cups (about 1/2 lb.) broccoli florets
- 5 cups frozen hash-brown-cut (shredded) potatoes
- 1 onion (about 1/2 lb.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1. Discard sausage casings. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, stir sausages until broken up and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add broccoli florets; stir until sausages are well browned and broccoli is tender-crisp to bite, 3 to 5 minutes more. Pour into a bowl; keep warm.
- 3. Add potatoes and onion to pan, reduce heat to medium-high, and stir until onion is limp, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Add sage and milk to pan, and stir just until potatoes are tender to bite, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- 5. Pour potato mixture onto a platter; spoon sausage and broccoli mixture over it. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes