Potato Pierogi with Sautéed Cabbage and Apples
Photo: Kana Okada
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 312
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 692mg
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 8g
- 1 16.9-ounce box frozen potato and Cheddar pierogi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into rings
- 1 Braeburn or some other crisp apple, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Cook the pierogi according to the package directions.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the apple and cook 1 minute. Add the cabbage, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until the cabbage is slightly wilted but still crunchy, about 3 minutes.
Divide the cabbage and apple among individual plates. Serve with the pierogi and sour cream on the side.
Food Fact: The Polish dumplings called pierogi come with sweet and savory fillings. Though pierogi can be boiled, panfrying is the best way to release and intensify their flavors.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This