Tasty and easy recipe i just changed a bit by adding a clove of garlic and a shake of McCormick grill mates MESQUITE spice. it turned out amazing.
These 5-ingredient potato pancakes make for an easy appetizer or side dish.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 466
- Calories from fat: 73%
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 38g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 222mg
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- 2 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and rinsed
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and halved, or 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 3 tablespoons potato starch or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- About 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1. Using a hand grater or food processor, shred potatoes, working over a large bowl of cold water or frequently transferring shredded potatoes to water. Shred onion and add to bowl (if using green onion, reserve). Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. Drain potato mixture; wipe bowl clean. With your hands, squeeze excess water from a large handful of the potato mixture, then pile it on a clean kitchen towel. Enclose potatoes tightly in towel and twist it to wring out remaining moisture. Repeat to dry all potatoes, using fresh towels if need. Return potatoes to bowl.
- 3. Add eggs, potato starch, salt, and pepper (and green onions, if using) to bowl and mix well.
- 4. Pour 1/2 inch oil into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan (with sides at least 2 in. tall) over medium-high heat. When surface of oil ripples slightly, scoop 1/3 cup of the potato mixture into one hand, then turn it onto a wide spatula. Flatten mixture into a pancake about 1/2 inch thick. Gently slide each cake from spatula into hot oil, 3 to 4 pancakes per batch (do not crowd pan). Cook until edges of pancakes are crisp and well browned and undersides are golden brown (lift with spatula to check), about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until remaining sides are golden brown, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly, then keep warm in a 200° oven while you cook remaining pancakes. Serve hot.
You can substitute celery root, carrots, or sweet potatoes for 8 ounces of the potatoes; peel, shred, and add to water in step 1. You can also add 1 tablespoon chopped herbs in step 3.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note