I used half the salt and I had some heavy cream... very good and easy to make. Soup had an almost airy, fluffy consistency. Very nice.
Potato Leek Soup
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Dan Becker
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 422
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 68g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Sodium: 1094mg
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups sliced leeks (tender parts only from about 3, trimmed)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook leeks, stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes. Measure out 1/4 cup leeks and set aside. Add garlic to remaining leeks in pot and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add broth and potatoes and cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add half-and-half and salt.
- 2. Working in batches, whirl soup in a blender to purée. Divide soup among 4 bowls and top each with about 1 tbsp. reserved leeks.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews