- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Garnishes: fresh thyme or parsley sprigs
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add leeks, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add potato, 1/2 cup wine, and broth. Using a piece of kitchen twine, tie bay leaf, 2 thyme sprigs, and 2 parsley sprigs into a bundle; add to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour and 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Discard herb bundle.
Process potato mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return puree to Dutch oven. Add remaining 1/4 cup wine, cream, and next 3 ingredients. Garnish, if desired.