This recipe sounded so good, but when I tasted the final outcome I was disappointed. My husband wasn't much of a fan either. Something was just a little off. Maybe we need to play around with the ingredients to achieve a flavor we like.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat; add leeks, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender (do not brown). Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt and next 3 ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Layer half of potatoes in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; pour half of sauce evenly over potatoes in dish. Repeat layers, ending with sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and fork tender, shielding with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables