Potato, Leek, and Fennel Gratin
You won't be disappointed when you spoon into this rustic gratin. It sports a crusty cheese top and tender potatoes swimming in a rich-as-they-come cheese sauce.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 2 leeks
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Rinse fennel thoroughly. Trim stalks to within 1" of bulbs. Discard hard outside stalks; reserve fennel tops for another use. Cut a slice off bottom of bulbs. Cut out core from bottom of bulbs. Starting at 1 side, cut bulbs lengthwise into 1/4"-thick slices. Set aside.
- Remove root, tough outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 1" of dark leaves. Wash leeks thoroughly; cut into 1/4"-thick slices.
- Sauté fennel and leeks in melted butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon thyme; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine potato, flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal; toss to coat well. Arrange half of potato in a buttered gratin dish or 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Combine whipping cream and milk; pour half of cream mixture over potato. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheese and 1 teaspoon thyme over potato. Spoon sautéed fennel and leek over cheese, and top with remaining potato. Pour remaining cream mixture over potato, and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese, 1 teaspoon thyme, and pepper.
- Bake, covered, at 400° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables