- 2 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, grated
- 1 Fuji apple, peeled and grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Thinly sliced fresh chives
How to Make It
Spread potato and apple onto dry kitchen towels; roll up and wring towels to remove liquid. Combine potato mixture, egg and next 8 ingredients.
Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 inch in a large skillet. Heat oil over medium-high heat; drop potato mixture, by tablespoonfuls, in batches; slightly flatten each latke. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain latkes on paper towels. Keep warm on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan in a 200° oven. Sprinkle with chives, and add salt to taste.