Love this recipe. Is time consuming but worth it. Reheats well for lunch or dinner.
Potato and Lamb Moussaka
Photo: Lee Harrelson; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
"Sometimes I change up the recipe and top this casserole with crumbled feta cheese. I like serving it with a simple Greek salad, pita bread, and a great red wine." —Christine Datian, Las Vegas
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 369
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 21.4g
- Carbohydrate: 40.3g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 127mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 501mg
- Calcium: 111mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds peeled baking potato, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add one-third of potato slices to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer potato to bowl. Repeat procedure with cooking spray and remaining potato slices.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic, and lamb to pan; cook 3 minutes or until lamb begins to brown. Add bell peppers, tomato sauce, salt, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, and parsley; cook 10 minutes.
- 4. Arrange half of potato slices in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange lamb mixture over potatoes; top with remaining potato slices. Combine milk and eggs in a small bowl; pour over potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until top is golden and set. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes