Excellent! I made a few modifications, and it was still delicious: Used cheddar cheese instead of Gruyere, and put the cheese into the soup pot so it melted in--this added a nice creamy texture. Also, instead of dried basil, I chopped fresh cilantro and topped the soup with that. Also, in order to make it palatable for my 7-year-old, I pureed the soup in the blender (before adding cheese); she loved it.
Potato-Kale Soup with Gruyère
Dark green, earthy kale contrasts with the mild yellow potatoes, but you can use fresh spinach in place of kale. Top with shredded gruyère cheese for a delicious finishing touch.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 239
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 733mg
- Calcium: 215mg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups coarsely chopped peeled Yukon gold potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 tablespoons (about 2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, potato, salt, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Stir in kale and basil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Discard bay leaf. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher until thick and chunky. Top with cheese.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note