Fabulous with beef tenderloin. We have this every year for Christmas.
Potato-Horseradish Gratin with Caramelized Onions
- 2 1/2 pounds medium-size baking potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup cream-style horseradish
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 20 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel potatoes, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange potato slices in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Stir together half-and-half and horseradish, and pour over potato.
- Bake, covered, at 400° for 40 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, remaining1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes; add sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is caramel colored.
- Stir in vinegar, and cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes. Fold in cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Uncover potato; top with onion mixture. Reduce temperature to 350°.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles