Fabulous with beef tenderloin. We have this every year for Christmas.
Potato-Horseradish Gratin with Caramelized Onions
An outstanding side dish recipe, this potato gratin would be perfect for your holiday table. The horseradish gives the dish zip, while the cheese makes it creamy.
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds medium-size baking potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup cream-style horseradish
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 20 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel potatoes, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange potato slices in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Stir together half-and-half and horseradish, and pour over potato.
- Bake, covered, at 400° for 40 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, remaining1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes; add sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is caramel colored.
- Stir in vinegar, and cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes. Fold in cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Uncover potato; top with onion mixture. Reduce temperature to 350°.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This