This was something different and very tasty. I am always looking for new sides. Ate the leftovers as a lunch entree. Nice crunch from the Romaine. 3 cloves of garlic is enough for us. I did not find it to be bland, but I can see the subs or extras others have mentioned would be tasty too.
Potato and Greens Torta
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
A potato ricer gives the torta the most desirable texture; they're inexpensive (as little as $10) and produce the creamiest mashed potatoes.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Carbohydrate: 24.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Calcium: 189mg
- 1 1/2 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups packed arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Place potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel potatoes; discard peels. Press cooked potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.
- 3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in romaine, spinach, and arugula; cook 1 minute or until greens wilt, tossing frequently. Remove greens from pan; finely chop.
- 4. Add greens, milk, fontina, eggs, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to potatoes; stir well to combine. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; dust with breadcrumbs. Add potato mixture to prepared dish. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with pecorino. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note