More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 9.8g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 202mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- 2 heads fennel (each about 3 1/2 in. wide)
- 1 1/4 pounds onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons anise-flavor liqueur such as sambuca or ouzo
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Rinse fennel. Trim and discard stems and bruised portions (save leaves; see notes). Chop fennel heads.
- 2. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir fennel, onions, and butter until vegetables are golden, about 25 minutes.
- 3. Add potatoes and broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes mash easily when pressed, about 20 minutes.
- 4. In a blender, whirl soup mixture, a portion at a time, until smoothly puréed. Return to pan. Add half-and-half, and liqueur to taste. Stir over medium-high heat until hot, about 3 minutes.
- 5. Ladle into bowls and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews