- 2 heads fennel (each about 3 1/2 in. wide)
- 1 1/4 pounds onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons anise-flavor liqueur such as sambuca or ouzo
- Salt and pepper
- calories 271
- caloriesfromfat 37 %
- protein 9.8 g
- fat 11 g
- satfat 6.7 g
- carbohydrate 32 g
- fiber 4 g
- sodium 202 mg
- cholesterol 33 mg
How to Make It
Rinse fennel. Trim and discard stems and bruised portions (save leaves; see notes). Chop fennel heads.
In a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir fennel, onions, and butter until vegetables are golden, about 25 minutes.
Add potatoes and broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes mash easily when pressed, about 20 minutes.
In a blender, whirl soup mixture, a portion at a time, until smoothly puréed. Return to pan. Add half-and-half, and liqueur to taste. Stir over medium-high heat until hot, about 3 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and season to taste with salt and pepper.