Potato Dumplings With Mushroom Sauce
Italian Academy of Cuisine's La Cucina: The Regional Cooking of Italy. Any pasta sauce will work. WS Journal
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 cup(s) all purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup(s) broth, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 ounce(s) porcini (or other variety) mushrooms, soaked in warm water, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) red wine (optional)
- 3 pound(s) russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste, diluted in 2 tablespoons water
- 1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2. Use a fork to lightly pierce each potato several times. Bake until completely soft, about 40 to 60 minutes. Cut each potato in half and scoop out flesh. Discard the skins.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the potato flesh and just enough flour to form a smooth dough that is not sticky. All the flour may not be used, depending on the starchiness of the potatoes.
- 4. Form the dough into thin cylinders, then cut them with a knife into pieces about 1 inch long.
- 5. Using your thumb, press each piece of dough against a floured fork, then let it fall onto the work surface. When all the pieces have been made, cover them with a cloth and let them rest.
- 6. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and mushrooms and saute until the onions are golden. Add the tomato paste mixture and red wine, if using.
- 7. Add the broth, reduce the heat to low, and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, adding a little more broth if the mixture dries out.
- 8. While the sauce cooks, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the potato dumplings and cook just until they float. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a deep serving dish, alternating them with layers of the sauce. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note