The filling was fine, but the potato crust was awful. Bland. Quiche needs a crispy crust to contrast with the custardy filling. Custardy and soft crust doesn't cut it.
Potato-Crusted Spinach Quiche
Usually quiche crust is made from butter and flour. This version uses shredded potatoes, which cuts fat and calories and ups the amount of Resistant Starch.
Resistant Starch: 1.4g
More From Health
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 340mg
- Sodium: 720mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated shredded potatoes (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 large egg white, whisked
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce Canadian bacon, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Coat inside of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with 1 teaspoon olive oil; set aside.
- 2. Combine potatoes and egg white in a large bowl; toss lightly. Add flour and salt; toss to coat. Transfer to pie plate, and pat evenly into bottom and sides to form crust. Drizzle remaining 2 teaspoons oil over crust. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 3. While crust bakes, place spinach, onion, and 2 tablespoons water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt; drain. Place spinach mixture in a colander, and squeeze to drain; coarsely chop, and set aside.
- 4. Combine eggs and ricotta cheese in a large mixing bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add black pepper. Stir in spinach mixture, half of Swiss cheese, and bacon.
- 5. Pour egg mixture over potato crust; spread with the back of a spoon to distribute evenly, leaving a 1/2-inch crust along the outer edge. Sprinkle remaining Swiss cheese on top. Bake at 350° for 5055 minutes, until puffed and golden. Cool on a wire rack 1015 minutes before serving. Slice into 4 equal pieces and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note