Potato-Crusted Catfish and Chips
- Vegetable oil
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) catfish fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Pour oil to a depth of 4 inches into a large Dutch oven, and heat to 375°. Fry potato strips, in 4 batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle fish evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Combine cornmeal and instant potato flakes. Dip fish in melted butter, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven to 400°; add fish, and fry, 2 fillets at a time, 2 to 3 minutes or until fillets float. Drain on paper towels; serve with chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note