Potato, Corn, and Chicken Stew (Ajiaco)
A fixture on menus in Bogotá, this Colombian stew gets most of its creamy texture from potatoes. Cubed Yukon gold potatoes impart a golden color, while grated russets release their starch to provide a velvety mouthfeel without added cream. Grate the potatoes on the small holes of a box grater to make sure they dissolve into the broth.
More From Oxmoor House
1 Hour, 12 Minutes
Total: 1 Hour, 22 Minutes
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 30.8g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 535mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 12 chicken thighs (about 4 pounds), skinned
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups finely shredded peeled baking potato
- 2 1/2 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled avocado
- 4 1/2 teaspoons capers
- 1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining half of chicken. Remove from pan; discard drippings.
- 2. Place 1 cup broth and 1/2 cup corn in a food processor; process until corn is pureed.
- 3. Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in pureed corn mixture, remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, remaining 1 cup corn, 1 1/2 cups water, oregano, and thyme; bring to a simmer. Stir in baking potato. Return chicken thighs to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently to keep potato from sticking to pan. Add Yukon gold potato; cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan; cool slightly.
- 4. Remove chicken from bones, discarding bones. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces. Return shredded chicken to pan. Stir in cilantro and next 4 ingredients (through black pepper); cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Ladle soup into bowls; top with avocado and capers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note