- 1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia), chopped
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 1/4 lb.), peeled and quartered
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked or frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- calories 455
- fat 22 g
- satfat 8 g
- protein 20 g
- carbohydrate 47 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 79 mg
- sodium 159 mg
How to Make It
Put onion and then potatoes in slow cooker. Add broth and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and cook for 3 hours on high.
Coarsely mash potatoes; stir in corn, chicken, tomatoes and cream. Cover and let cook until heated through, about 10 minutes. (To make chowder ahead, prepare to this point, let cool, cover and chill for up to 3 days.) Season with pepper to taste.
Just before serving, stir oil, basil and salt. Drizzle basil oil over each serving.