We loved it! I served broiled tilapia seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and cilantro alongside the cakes and the meal was thoroughly enjoyed by all... I will definitely make these again!
When making potato pancakes one night, Annette Leonard experimented with some new flavors. The result has become a favorite vegetarian main dish, which she serves with salsa and sour cream.
Yield: Makes about 12 cakes; 3 or 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Sodium: 1565mg
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) corn, drained
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- 1/2 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1/3 cup minced green onions (including tops)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh jalapeño or other hot green chilies (about 2 oz. total), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- About 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring about 4 quarts water to a boil. Add whole potatoes and cook until tender when pierced, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water until cool enough to handle; peel and grate (or press through a food mill or ricer).
- 2. In a large bowl, mix potatoes, corn, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, onions, cilantro, jalapeños, cornmeal, cumin, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- 3. Pour 1 teaspoon oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat; when hot, drop batter into pan in about 1/3-cup portions, and use a spoon to spread slightly into 3- to 4-inch cakes. Cook, turning once with a spatula, until cakes are browned on both sides and firm to the touch in the center, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to an ovenproof plate and keep warm in a 200° oven while you cook remaining cakes, adding more oil to pan as necessary.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes