We loved it! I served broiled tilapia seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and cilantro alongside the cakes and the meal was thoroughly enjoyed by all... I will definitely make these again!
When making potato pancakes one night, Annette Leonard experimented with some new flavors. The result has become a favorite vegetarian main dish, which she serves with salsa and sour cream.
Yield: Makes about 12 cakes; 3 or 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Sodium: 1565mg
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) corn, drained
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- 1/2 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1/3 cup minced green onions (including tops)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh jalapeño or other hot green chilies (about 2 oz. total), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- About 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring about 4 quarts water to a boil. Add whole potatoes and cook until tender when pierced, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water until cool enough to handle; peel and grate (or press through a food mill or ricer).
- 2. In a large bowl, mix potatoes, corn, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, onions, cilantro, jalapeños, cornmeal, cumin, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- 3. Pour 1 teaspoon oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat; when hot, drop batter into pan in about 1/3-cup portions, and use a spoon to spread slightly into 3- to 4-inch cakes. Cook, turning once with a spatula, until cakes are browned on both sides and firm to the touch in the center, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to an ovenproof plate and keep warm in a 200° oven while you cook remaining cakes, adding more oil to pan as necessary.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note