- 2 cups mashed potatoes, hot or cold (see notes)
- 1/2 cup fresh chèvre (goat) cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 pound fresh poblano chilies (also called pasillas; 6 to 8, equal-size), rinsed
- Bell pepper salsa or 1 cup purchased red salsa
- calories 358
- caloriesfromfat 48 %
- protein 17 g
- fat 19 g
- satfat 10 g
- carbohydrate 33 g
- fiber 4.5 g
- sodium 1094 mg
- cholesterol 38 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, use a fork or mixer to blend potatoes, chèvre, 1/4 cup cotija, canned chilies, onion, and salt to taste.
Wearing rubber gloves, cut poblanos in half lengthwise. With a knife, cut seed lump from beneath the stem inside each chili, leaving stem end in place (to form a cup). Pull out and discard veins. Fill chilies equally with potato mixture. Set chilies in an oiled 9- by 13-inch casserole, filling it. Cover tightly with foil.
Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cotija, and return to oven. Bake until stuffing is dotted with brown, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
Serve chilies with a wide spatula. Add salsa and salt to taste.