Potato-Caramelized Onion Buns
We added caramelized onions to this wonderful Potato Bread recipe. Serve meaty cheeseburgers or grilled fish inside these delicious buns.
Yield: Makes about 2 dozen
- 2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 cup refrigerated or frozen mashed potatoes, thawed and warmed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 7 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Caramelized Onions
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- Stir together 2 cups warm water and yeast in a large mixing bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, sugar, and butter to yeast mixture; beat at medium speed, using dough hook attachment, until blended. Add 7 cups flour and salt; beat at low speed 2 minutes. Add Caramelized Onions, and beat at medium speed 5 minutes. (Dough will be very sticky.) Sprinkle dough with remaining 1 tablespoon flour, and remove from bowl.
- Shape into a ball, and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Turn off oven. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in oven 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Remove from oven. Remove and discard plastic wrap. Punch dough down, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 21 portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball with floured hands. Place no more than 8 balls on each parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise again in a warm place, free from drafts, for 15 to 20 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.
- Bake buns at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note