- 5 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- Cream Sauce
How to Make It
Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Peel, seed, and thinly slice squash.
Cook potato in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven 5 minutes. Add squash; cover and cook 3 more minutes. Remove from heat, and drain well.
Melt butter in a large skillet; add onion, and saute 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Layer half of potato slices and squash in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with half of salt and pepper. Top with half of onion, cheese, and Cream Sauce. Repeat layers, ending with Cream Sauce.
Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown.