Instead of layering, I sauteed the onions and then mixed them into the sauce, along with the cheese. Poured over the potatoes in a 2 qt. baking dish once it was melted and baked until bubbly. Delicious!
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 12 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese*
- Cream Sauce
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
- Bring potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chopped onion, and sauté 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Layer half of potatoes in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish or 2 (8-inch) square baking dishes; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with half each of onions, Gruyère cheese, and Cream Sauce. Repeat layers once, ending with Cream Sauce.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- *1 (8-ounce) block Swiss cheese, shredded, or 1 (8-ounce) block sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded, may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables