I liked these a lot, but my husband couldn't stop raving about them. He said they tasted like pierogis. I used a cup of leftover mashed red potatoes (including skin), and did drop biscuits instead of kneading them. They were really easy and very filling. I will definitely make these again!
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 151
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 353mg
- Calcium: 170mg
- 1 cup (1-inch) cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potato
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter or stick margarine, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cook the potato in boiling water 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain well; mash potato, and cool.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add mashed potato, cheese, buttermilk, and green onions; stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead lightly 5 times. Roll dough to a 3/4-inch thickness, and cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Place on a baking sheet. Combine water and egg white, and brush over biscuits. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Potato-and-Cheese Biscuits Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads, Breakfast/Brunch
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Cheese, Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Super Bowl
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light