- 1 (4 1/2- to 5-pound) baking hen
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 new potatoes, unpeeled
- 18 baby carrots
- 18 pearl onions
- 12 fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh celery leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole rosemary
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Remove giblets from cavity of chicken, and reserve for other uses. Rinse chicken with cold water, and pat dry. Tie ends of legs to tail with string. Lift wingtips up and over back so they are tucked under chicken securely.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Brown chicken in butter over low heat; transfer to a large Dutch oven, reserving butter in skillet.
- Combine wine, broth, and salt; pour into skillet, and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat, and pour over chicken. Cover and cook over medium heat 45 minutes.
- Cut the cord holding the drumstick ends to the tail; this will ensure that the inside of the thighs are cooked. Layer potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery leaves, and rosemary around chicken in Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat an additional hour or until drumsticks are easy to move. Remove chicken and vegetables to serving platter, and keep warm.
- Bring pan drippings to a boil; gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Serve gravy with chicken and vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note