My husband is raving about it. Definitely on our "Keeper" list.
Pot Roast Braised in Red Wine
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 (2 1/2 - 3) rump roast
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk(s) celery, finely chopped
- 6 clove(s) garlic, thickly sliced
- 16 ounce(s) red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup(s) pancetta or bacon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 3 cup(s) beef broth
- 1. Season the meat with the salt and pepper. Heat 1½ tablespoons of the
- oil in a large Dutch oven set on medium-high heat until sizzling, about 2
- minutes. Brown the meat on both sides in the hot oil, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to bowl and set aside.
- 2. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and heat on medium-high heat
- until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and
- pancetta and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, carrot and celery along
- with the bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Cook for 3-4
- minutes, until almost dry. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2
- 3. Pour in the wine and beef stock and bring to a boil, stirring to dislodge
- any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the cooked meat
- and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer,
- covered, for 3-4 hours. Transfer the meat to a cutting board to rest,
- covering it with a tent of foil to keep warm.
- 4. While the meat is resting, bring the cooking liquid to a boil and cook,
- stirring frequently, until reduced by half, about 30-40 minutes. To make
- a smooth sauce, puree the vegetables and liquid in the pan with a hand
- held blender.
- 5. To serve, arrange the meat slices on a serving platter with the sauce
- served on the side.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by robinarroyave and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note