Much better than it sounds. My first experience with collard greens even though I am a southern "girl".
Pot Liquor Soup
- 2 pounds fresh collard greens
- 1 (2-pound) ham steak, chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 red potatoes, diced
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (16-ounce) cans field peas, drained
- 2 (16-ounce) cans crowder peas, drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vermouth
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from collards; rinse with cold water. Drain and tear into 1-inch pieces.
- Bring collards and water to cover to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Remove from heat; drain. Repeat procedure once.
- Toss together ham and hot sauce. Cook ham in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add onion and garlic, and saute until tender.
- Stir in collards, potato, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews