- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 1 cup diced turnips
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped parsnips
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large stock pot; bring to a boil. Skim surface frequently with a flat ladle to remove grayish scum. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 4 hours. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Remove short ribs from stock; set stock aside. Remove meat from ribs; discard bones. Chop meat; cover and refrigerate.
- Line a sieve with several layers of damp cheesecloth. Strain stock through cheesecloth into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Carefully lift solidified fat from top of stock; discard fat.
- Return stock and meat to stock pot; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard cloves. Spoon soup into individual soup bowls; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews