Made exactly as instructed, including the homemade Brown Chicken Stock. It was delicious, filling, and comforting. Definitely a keeper!
Posole (Tomatillo, Chicken, and Hominy Soup)
This Mexican soup was rated 5 stars because it's quick and packed with flavor. One reader called this Posole recipe "a Mexican chicken noodle soup."
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 233
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 31.8g
- Carbohydrate: 19.4g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 548mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 6 cups Brown Chicken Stock
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 pounds chicken breast halves, skinned
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1 (30-ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 8 lime wedges
- Discard husks and stems from the tomatillos. Cook whole tomatillos in boiling water 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Place tomatillos in a blender; process until smooth; set aside.
- Place stock and the next 5 ingredients (stock through hominy) in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from bones; shred. Stir in pureed tomatillos and salt; cook for 5 minutes or until heated. Stir in chicken, and serve with cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note