Portuguese Red Pork
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 496
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 57g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 8.1g
- Carbohydrate: 9.7g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 299mg
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- 6 fresh jalapeño chilies (4 to 6 oz. total), stemmed, seeded, deveined, and chopped
- 1 jar (about 8 oz.) peeled red peppers
- 3 pounds fat-trimmed pork shoulder chops (cut about 1in. thick)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (about 6 oz.), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- About 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 1. In a blender or food processor, smoothly purée jalapeños and red peppers.
- 2. Rinse pork and pat dry.
- 3. Place an 11- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan with an ovenproof handle over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic and stir often until mixture is lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour onion mixture from pan.
- 4. Add pork chops to pan without crowding and brown evenly, turning once or twice, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add onion and puréed jalapeño mixtures and wine; stir to blend.
- 5. Cover frying pan tightly (with lid or foil). Bake in a 375° oven until meat is very tender when pierced and pulls from bone easily, about 1 1/2 hours. Uncover, stir, and bake until sauce is slightly thicker, about 10 minutes.
- 6. Transfer chops to a platter and pour sauce over them. Sprinkle with parsley; add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This