Portuguese Clam and Cilantro Soup
Notes: The Portuguese add a coarse-textured bread to soak up the soup. If you prefer, serve bread alongside.
Yield: Makes 4 or 5 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 200
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 339mg
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bottles (8 oz. each) clam juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 dozen clams in shells, suitable for steaming, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups 1-inch cubes crusty bread
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir onion in oil until limp, about 3 minutes. Add clam juice, wine, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add clams, garlic, and pepper.
- 2. Cover and cook until clams pop open, 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- 3. Distribute bread cubes equally among wide soup bowls. Spoon clams and broth into bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note