Portuguese Clam and Cilantro Soup
Notes: The Portuguese add a coarse-textured bread to soak up the soup. If you prefer, serve bread alongside.
Yield: Makes 4 or 5 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 200
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 339mg
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bottles (8 oz. each) clam juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 dozen clams in shells, suitable for steaming, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups 1-inch cubes crusty bread
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir onion in oil until limp, about 3 minutes. Add clam juice, wine, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add clams, garlic, and pepper.
- 2. Cover and cook until clams pop open, 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- 3. Distribute bread cubes equally among wide soup bowls. Spoon clams and broth into bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews