Very tasty sandwich. Made it exactly according to recipe. Great weeknight dinner idea.
Portobello Sandwiches with Red Pepper Sauce
Serve with Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad. If you don't have almonds on hand, use any nut.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 734mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 4 (4-inch) portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 8 (1.25-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 12 basil leaves
- Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove gills from mushrooms using a spoon; discard gills. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and half of garlic; brush over mushrooms and onion slices. Place mushrooms and onion slices in pan, and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from heat. Sprinkle mushrooms with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Separate onion slices into rings.
- 3. Place bread slices on a baking sheet, and broil for 1 minute on each side or until toasted.
- 4. Place remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, remaining garlic, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, bell peppers, almonds, and vinegar in a food processor, and process until smooth. Spread red pepper sauce evenly over 1 side of each bread slice; top 4 bread slices evenly with cheese, 1 mushroom, onion rings, spinach, and basil. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, sauce side down.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches