Two of my husbands favorite things to eat are potatoes and mushrooms. Everytime I make the two he generally heaps them on the fork together. This was a great way for me to get it done ahead of time and the blended flavors were great.
Portobello-Layered Mashed Potatoes
Photo: Randy Mayor
Yukon gold potatoes are moist and make excellent mashed potatoes, but baking potatoes will work, too. For better flavor, cook the potatoes before peeling.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 223
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 39.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 394mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 1/4 cup minced fresh onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Place potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender; drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Cool and peel potatoes; mash. Add reserved cooking liquid, buttermilk, 3/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth.
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, without stirring. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 4 minutes), stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and basil.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spread one-third of potato mixture in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of the mushroom mixture over potato mixture; repeat layers, ending with potato mixture. Sprinkle top with cheese and paprika; drizzle with oil. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables