More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 417
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 603mg
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- 4 portabella mushroom caps (about 5 in. wide; 1 to 1 1/4 lb. total)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup canned peeled roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound thin-sliced Swiss cheese
- 4 round sandwich buns (about 4 in. wide; 3/4 lb. total)
- Butter or margarine (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 cup watercress leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1. Rinse and drain mushrooms, then rub lightly with oil.
- 2. Lay the mushroom caps, cup (gill) sides down, on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill.
- 3. Cook until juices start to drip from the mushroom caps, about 5 minutes. Turn caps over and continue to cook until mushrooms are flexible and no longer firm when pressed, 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- 4. Lay an equal portion of the red peppers in each cap and cover with cheese. Continue cooking until cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- 5. As cheese melts, split buns, butter if desired, and lay cut sides down on grill until lightly toasted.
- 6. Set a mushroom cap on each bun base, season with salt and pepper to taste, add a mound of watercress, and cover with the bun top.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note