Port-Stained Beef Medallions
In this recipe adapted from Keith Schroeder's upcoming book, Mad Delicious, what may seem like a crazy technique for beef (steaming) produces outstanding results.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 21.3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 503mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed (about 1 inch thick)
- 2 cups port wine
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup canola mayonnaise (such as Hellmann's)
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded Fresno chile or jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. Place 4 garlic cloves on a cutting board; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Chop until a paste forms, scraping with the flat side of a knife to mash. Press garlic mixture into both sides of steaks. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Bring wine to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in rind and paprika. Pour wine mixture into a pie plate or wide, shallow dish.
- 3. Line one tier of a 10-inch bamboo steamer with an 8-inch circle of parchment paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray. Arrange steaks on top of paper in steamer basket. Cover with steamer lid. Add water to a large skillet to a depth of 1 inch; bring to a boil. Place steamer in pan; steam steaks 8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks from steamer; place steaks in wine mixture for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. Cut steaks across the grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices; sprinkle with remaining 3/8 teaspoon salt.
- 4. Combine mayonnaise, chile, juice, and 1 garlic clove. Spread 2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture on each of 4 plates. Top evenly with sliced steak and any remaining wine mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note