Pork, White Bean & Kale Soup
Kale is matched up here with white beans and chunks of lean pork tenderloin to create a soup that's satisfying and quick to make. Smoked paprika gives the soup a Spanish flair so some warm bread and sliced Manchego cheese would go well on the side. From EatingWell: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/pork_white_bean_kale_soup.html
- 1 tablespoon(s) Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound(s) Pork Tenderloin Trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) paprika smoked if possible
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Red Peppers (to taste) crushed
- 1 cup(s) white wine
- 4 Plum Tomatoes chopped
- 4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 cup(s) Kale, ribs removed chopped
- 15 ounce(s) white beans rinsed
- 1.Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork, sprinkle with salt and cook, stirring once or twice, until no longer pink on the outside, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs, leaving juices in the pot.
- 2.Add onion to the pot and cook, stirring often, until just beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, paprika and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and tomatoes, increase heat to high and stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- 3.Add kale and stir just until it wilts. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is just tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in beans, the reserved pork and any accumulated juices; simmer until the beans and pork are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Tips & Notes
- Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (Our recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
- Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 45 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 7 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 1024 mg potassium.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ccassagnol and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pork, White Bean & Kale Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews