This is my go to recipe for Vindaloo. I use lamb instead of pork. Follow the directions and then throw it in the crock pot so the lamb gets very tender. I serve this with saffron basmati rice and naan.
Garam masala is a spice blend. Okra complements the stew's curry flavor.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup pork mixture and about 3/4 cup rice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 392
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 31.2g
- Carbohydrate: 51.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 678mg
- Calcium: 107mg
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag brown rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 (8-ounce) container prechopped onion
- 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; set aside.
- 2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Combine pork and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper); toss well. Add pork mixture to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Add broth to pan, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and vinegar. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note