- 1 pound lean boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups peeled, diced turnips
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Sprinkle pork with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
Combine turnips, sugar, and 2 cups water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Combine oil and flour in a large Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender. Add pork and remaining water; stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until pork is tender. Stir in rosemary, remaining salt, and red pepper. Cover; simmer 10 minutes. Serve pork and turnips over rice.