This was a spectacular combination of flavors! It was a little time-consuming, but well worth it. Make sure to broil the peppers long enough to char the skin so it is easier to peel the skin off. Wouldn't change a thing.
Pork-Stuffed Poblanos With Walnut Cream Sauce
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 8 large poblano chile peppers
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup diced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Walnut Cream Sauce
- Garnish: cinnamon sticks
- Broil chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side or until peppers look blistered.
- Place chile peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers. Gently split chile peppers open lengthwise, keeping stems intact; remove and discard seeds. Set aside.
- Cook pork in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in tomato and next 4 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir together tomato sauce and next 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat 5 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup pork mixture into each pepper, and place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with Walnut Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired, and serve over Cinnamon Rice Pilaf.
- Note: Small green bell peppers may be substituted for poblanos chile peppers. (Do not roast.) Proceed as directed. Bake 45 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note