Simply an outstanding stew recipe! The earthiness of the mushrooms used add tremendously to the earthy flavor that is achieved. Even my wife loved it and she dislikes most plain mushroom dishes.
Pork Stew with Cipollini, Mushrooms, and Chestnuts
Photo: Jan Smith
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 276
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 23.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 ounces dried mushroom medley
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound cipollini onions, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless Boston butt pork roast, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 cups (1-inch) slices carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped bottled chestnuts
- Bring broth and mushrooms to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 20 minutes or until tender. Drain mushrooms in a colander over a bowl, reserving broth.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onions; sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Spoon onion mixture into a large bowl.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dredge pork in flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of pork mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add pork to onion mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining pork mixture, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in reserved broth, pork mixture, and sage; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until pork is almost tender.
- Stir in carrot. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and chestnuts; simmer 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews