- 6 (1/2-inch-thick) pork steaks (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 cups soft bread cubes, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, unpeeled apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 beef-flavored bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 medium-size cooking apples, cored and sliced
How to Make It
Sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Brown steaks on both sides in hot shortening in a large skillet; drain.
Combine bread cubes, chopped apple, raisins, celery, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning in a medium mixing bowl; stir until well combined. Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water, and add to breadcrumb mixture, mixing well.
Place browned steaks in a 3 1/2- quart shallow baking dish. Cover each steak with a layer of dressing and top with an apple slice. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil, and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Serve immediately.