Pork Scaloppine with Plum-Port Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 201
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 79mg
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- 3/4 pound firm-ripe red- or purple-skinned plums
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup port
- 1/2 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 3/4 to 2 lb. total), fat trimmed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 1. Rinse plums, cut in half, and pit. Cut about 1 cup thin slices, cover, and set aside up to 6 hours. Cut remaining fruit into chunks and drop into a blender or food processor; whirl until puréed.
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, boil plum purée, shallots, garlic, sugar, vinegar, port, and broth, stirring often until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl; cover and let stand at room temperature up to 6 hours. Rinse and dry pan.
- 3. Meanwhile, rinse pork, pat dry, and cut across the grain into 3/4-inch-thick slices. A few slices at a time, place meat between sheets of plastic wrap and, with a flat mallet, pound firmly but gently to an even 1/4 inch thick. Roll meat in plastic wrap, put in a plastic bag, seal, and chill up to 6 hours.
- 4. In the frying pan over high heat, combine 1 tablespoon oil and the butter. When butter is sizzling, peel plastic wrap from meat and fill pan with 1 layer of pork. As pieces shrink, add more meat. Cook, turning to brown on each side, until no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 5 minutes per batch. Add more oil as needed. As scaloppine is cooked, transfer to a platter and keep warm in a 200° oven.
- 5. Pour port-plum sauce into frying pan and stir over high heat until boiling; pour into a small bowl. Garnish scaloppine with reserved plum slices. Ladle plum sauce over portions; add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes