Pork And Sauerkraut Dinner
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16-ounce) can shredded sauerkraut, drained
- 1 medium carrot, scraped and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 1 whole clove
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) smoked pork chops (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 (1/4-pound) knockwurst sausages, diagonally scored
- Cook bacon in a 9-inch cast iron skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Sauté onion in drippings until tender. Add sauerkraut, carrot, sugar, and crumbled bacon, stirring gently until well blended.
- Combine peppercorns, clove, and bay leaf on a small amount of cheesecloth, and tie securely. Place cheesecloth bag in skillet, and cover completely with sauerkraut mixture.
- Pour chicken broth and wine over sauerkraut mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Place potatoes, pork chops, and sausages evenly over sauerkraut. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Discard cheesecloth bag.
- To serve, place sauerkraut mixture on a warm serving platter. Arrange pork chops, sausages, and potatoes on top of sauerkraut. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes