Pork And Sauerkraut Dinner
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16-ounce) can shredded sauerkraut, drained
- 1 medium carrot, scraped and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 1 whole clove
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) smoked pork chops (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 (1/4-pound) knockwurst sausages, diagonally scored
- Cook bacon in a 9-inch cast iron skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Sauté onion in drippings until tender. Add sauerkraut, carrot, sugar, and crumbled bacon, stirring gently until well blended.
- Combine peppercorns, clove, and bay leaf on a small amount of cheesecloth, and tie securely. Place cheesecloth bag in skillet, and cover completely with sauerkraut mixture.
- Pour chicken broth and wine over sauerkraut mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Place potatoes, pork chops, and sausages evenly over sauerkraut. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Discard cheesecloth bag.
- To serve, place sauerkraut mixture on a warm serving platter. Arrange pork chops, sausages, and potatoes on top of sauerkraut. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note